Community Group Questions for 2/17/19 Sermon
Community Group Questions
“Seeing God in the Creation Narrative” 2/17/19
If you have not listened to the message yet, there are many ways to do so at
Scripture: Read- Genesis 2
Series: Beginnings: Genesis 1-12
1). Why did God write this text to the original audience? What was He looking to communicate about Himself?
2). What is the big difference in PURPOSE between the two creation narratives in Genesis 1 and 2?
3). What did it mean for man to have dominion over the earth?
4). What have we been given a stewardship over (seriously, take turns listing off the things in your community group), and how are we in terms of being faithful stewards of that which God has entrusted to us?
5). Why did God create Eve?
6). In what ways was the creation of Eve different than the rest of the created beings? Why did God do something different when creating Eve?
7). Why is it important to note that God created the institution of marriage PRIOR TO sin entering the world?
8). What principles do we see in this text about God's design for marriage? (see below for help)
9). What does it mean to "leave and cleave"?
10). How do we demonstrate God's love and character by following God's design for marriage?
8 principles that we see from marriage in the garden
1. God decreed that it is not good that we should be alone (2:18)
2. God was already working on the perfect helpmate before Adam knew he needed one (God expresses the need in 2:18. Adam does not sense the need until 2:20)
3. It was GOD who brought Adam his helpmate
4. God created that helpmate out of Adam’s side- She was LITERALLY A PART OF ADAM and in a very real way was intended to complete him
5. God continued a pattern that we see in the animal kingdom and reinforced in the Noah narrative- that male and female come together
6. Adam realized right away that this helpmate was special amongst all creation (23)
7. There would be a leaving and cleaving to one another
8. The two were made from one flesh and intended to BECOME one flesh (24)