Community Group Questions for 11/18/18 Sermon
Community Group Questions
“A Guide to Loving One Another” 11/18/18
If you have not listened to the message yet, there are many ways to do so at www.redeemernj.com/sermons
Or you can watch the stream of the whole service by clicking here
Scripture: Read- 1 John 3:11-24
Series: 1 John: A Guide to the Christian Life Part 7
Connecting the teaching and the worship: We sang the song “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us” this Sunday. John’s main point in our passage is that when we understand God’s love that it should compel us to love one another in a similar manner. What are some of the ways that God loved us where we can follow His example in loving others? (Be specific)
1) Out of all of the examples John could use to contrast the love of Christ, John chose the story of Cain. In what ways does Cain serve as an example of “how NOT to love”? Why of all possible examples do you suppose John uses Cain?
2) John builds his case on Christian love off of 3 main premises:
- We are loved by the sacrificial love of God
- We are called to love God sacrificially
- We are called to love others sacrificially
How do all 3 of these truths build on each other and why is each one critical? (why is the order critical?)
3. John says in 3:16 that “by this we know love, that He (Christ) laid down His life for us”. How does Christ’s death DEFINE love?
4. In the sermon, the point was made that every great story- even non-biblical stories, have at their core the idea of someone laying down their life to help save others:
A. Can you name any stories outside of the Bible that follow that narrative?
B. Why do you think this has become such a popular narrative even in very non-Christian settings?
5. In what ways do we need to be watchful not to love in word or in a merely theological sense but but ignoring the needs of those around us (3:17-18)?
6.How can we be mindful as a group not not love in word only? Be specific