Community Group Questions for 12/30/18 Sermon
Community Group Questions
“God is Love, Therefore We Must Love” 12/30/18- Pastor Sesky Paul
If you have not listened to the message yet, there are many ways to do so at www.redeemernj.com/sermons
Scripture: Read- 1 John 4:7-21
Series: A Guide to the Christian Life: A Study Through the Book of 1 John
- As he did in earlier chapters, John twice calls his readers, “beloved” in this passage (in verses 7 and 11).
What does it mean to be “beloved”? Can you list any synonyms for the word? Any idioms which convey its meaning?
- What’s theologically significant about John’s decision to address his readers as “beloved”
- Do you think of yourself as “beloved”? Is Beloved” your strongest and most abiding sense of self?
- How would your outlook on life, your regard for others and the way you relate to others be changed if you lived with the settled sense that you are beloved by God?
- What’s the connection between one’s status and experience as a beloved child of God and John’s frequently repeated counsel that his readers must love one another (3:11, 3:14, 4:7 and 4:11)?
- Which do you think is a more powerful motivator-- love, fear, or hate? Why?
- What are the readers of 1John encouraged to do? (4:7)
- What is the relationship between loving and knowing God? (4:7-8)
- How did God show his love? (4:9)
- What is Love? (4:10)
- Why should Christians love one another (4:11)
- What is the result of loving one another? (4:12)
- How can believers know that they live in God and God lives in them? (4:13)